Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Siebenfelder Bread

I was turned onto this bread by my mom who loves it.  This is the recipe she uses to make it except that she makes it into two free-form rounds and bakes it on 325 but since I am obsessed with artisan style I modified the method a bit to get a crustier version.

1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tablespoon oil
1 large egg
1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup rye flour
2 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons gluten
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon active dried yeast

To complete by bread machine: Place all ingredients into the bread machine in order listed.  Select the whole grain cycle if you have it otherwise  use the white bread cycle.  Let the machine do all the work.  The machine will make one 1 1/2 pound loaf.

Dough Cycle Use:  Place all ingredients into the bread machine in order listed. Select the dough cycle.  When dough cycle completes (about 90 minutes) remove dough and shape into a ball.  Divide ball in half.  Shape each ball into a fat baguette.   Place on parchment paper and let bread raise in warm place until doubled in size.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees with pizza stone letting the stone heat for about 20 minutes to get nice and hot.  Brush the top of the loaf with water and give it several slashes with a serrated bread knife.  Slide onto hot pizza stone.  Bake for about 25 minutes or until bread is golden brown.  Remove bread and let cool on cooling rack. 

Yield:  2 medium sized loaves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am making this right now. I had to modify the recipe a bit as I did not have caraway seeds, so I am using herbs de provance. I will let you know how it goes. Love it Dana!!
Peg from St Charles!!