Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Homemade Yogurt & Granola

I started eating yogurt and museli while living in Ireland.  Once I returned to the U.S. I found American yogurt disgusting.  Way too sweet and not rich and creamy like European yogurt.  I was very saddened by this as yogurt had become a favorite breakfast for both Matt and I.  Recently I found out you could make your own yogurt at home!  My friend Amy, who is like the Proverbs 31 woman, showed me how this past week.  We had a morning of cooking and yogurt and granola was first on the list.  It turned out incredible and was not hard to do.  I will post the directions soon.

Granola

6 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup wheat germ
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon


Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.  In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. Combine both mixtures together and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.  Remove from oven and let cool. Makes about 8 cups.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Go woman!! I definately want to hear about making your own yogurt some more. How is it different than Greek? And I definately agree that American yogurt is to sweet and syrupy.

Reegz said...

This granola is deadly. Eat with caution. I could eat the WHOLE jar!